All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements to apply for the entry-level position of police cadet.
- Minimum Age: 20 years, 6 months at time of entrance exam
- Maximum Age: Must not have reached 45 years of age at time of appointment to the SAPD Academy
- Education: High school diploma with a minimum of a “C” average OR a GED. If a GED was acquired, applicant must have 12 completed college hours at an accredited college or university with a minimum of a “C” average.
- Military Service: Must have an Honorable Discharge if prior military
- Uncharacterized and entry entry-level separations wil be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Traffic Citations: Cannot have two or more hazardous moving traffic offenses with any disposition other than “Not Guilty” within 12 months preceding the date of application
Applicants must be compliant with the suitability factors defined by the City of San Antonio Fire and Police Civil Service Commission. A complete listing of these factors can be downloaded by clicking here. These suitability factors cover the following topics:
- Personal history and character
- Employment history
- Military history
- Driving record
- Financial responsibility
- Criminal activity
- Drug use